Nowadays air conditioner is such a common item in every household to cool rooms or confined spaces. Some air conditioner models may even replace the heater during winter. Room air conditioner shows some advantages over whole-house air conditioner as followings:
- Cheaper price. The cost for a room air conditioner is obviously cheaper than the whole house one.
- Perfect adaption tothe need of cooling one or two rooms only or small area.
- Easy to get. You can find room air conditioner at any large supermarket chain store, department stores and some smaller stores with a wide range of manufacturers: LG, Samsung, Daikin, Sharps
- Easy installation and removal.
- Lower utility cost. Almost every air conditioner now has energy-saver switch which helps you to cut down your electricity bill.
While there are hundreds of models with a wide range of features, it’s a hard task to choose the right air conditioner for your room. It is advised that you should focus on some key characteristics below:
Types of room air conditioner
The installation decides the type of air conditioner. While wall-mounted models are more popular, you should consider the other two: window model and portable model upon how you want to install it: in a window, into a wall or free to move around.
Energy Efficiency features
Energy Efficiency Rating (EER) is the measurement of the ability of appliance to convert energy to cooling. A high EER air conditioner helps you to reduce your electric usage and greenhouse emission. The highest rating is 11.5.
While purchasing a room air conditioner should be noticed these following energy efficiency features, which also contribute the convenience and comfort:
- Fan speed: the variable range of fan speed help you to control the air flow, thus control the energy consummation.
- Digital temperature degree: it doesn’t only contribute to the better comfort but also the energy savings.
- Programmable Thermostat: people may not often notice but an air conditioner should work differently at day and night. With this feature, you can program your desired settings for different moment of the day.
- Filters: Filters prevent the invasion of dust and other allergens from the air into the air conditioner. A regular change and maintenance of filters will keep your air conditioner work longer and operate at full efficiency. That’s why filters should be easy to access, to clean and remove.
- Sleep setting: During the night time or any moment when you don’t need the full operation of the air conditioner, the sleep setting helps you to put it at low working mode thus save energy cost.
- Timer: A timer helps you to start or stop the air conditioner at desired moment. The air conditioner doesn’t have to run continuously or at the unnecessary time.
Other features upon your need such as remote control, connection with smart devices, quiet operation…The efficiency of air conditioners also depend on your building insolation and building material especially when installing the air conditioner in kitchen or near by. You may need to carry inspection of your kitchen through some professional company such like Kitchen Remodeling Wellington to ensure better performance of your AC unit.
Size of room air conditioner
The size of a room air conditioner can be considered as its cooling capacity. An air conditioner only works in its perfect condition at its proper size. A small-sized one for a big space or an over-sized for a small space will both work inefficiently with wasted energy, increased electric cost, bad dehumidification and reduced lifespan.
The size of air conditioner is measured by BTU (British Thermal Unit). Prior to the purchase, you should measure the dimensions of the room then calculate the right BTU for your air conditioner as following:
- Measure the square footage of the room by multiplying the length by the width.
- Match the room size with the BTU rating and make adjustment following
Sometimes the electrical requirements are often forgotten thus leading to the wrong choice. Before buying any room air conditioner, especially the imported ones, you must check the following information of the product as well as the electrical capacity of the room or house so that it can afford the air conditioner:
- Electrical outlet: the outlet must be reach of line cord
- Voltage: in some countries such as Japan, 110V electrical system is still in used.
- Amps: required number of amps must be available in the electrical circuit.